Wednesday 29 January 2014

Activism is just another way of singing along.

We lost Pete Seeger this week.  He had a few years on me and I admittedly wasn't even a twinkle in my mother's eye while he was tangling with Congress and being blacklisted from television performances. His life is somewhat historical to me, but not his music. The music remains vital and relevant.

Pascal and I keep a copy of Rise Up Singing in the car for long trips and good friends.  Pascal is a wonderful singer and l am not. We still manage to meet in the middle and sing ourselves into smiling. I think the joy of singing along is one of the best lessons Pete brought to us. He encouraged us to connect with our communities and neighbours, working with one another to build the world we want.  

He taught us that activism is just another way of singing along. 

No comments :

Post a Comment